CONTENTS] [MAIN PAGE] [HISTORY]
40, a & b
COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF'S ORDER OF THE DAY, N.O. 34,
- One of the two gun positions in the area.
- The same position seen from the front side.
- Part of the parapet has collapsed from the second position in the area.
- Comparison picture showing the size of the base for the gun. The base probably has been so big in order to make it possible to adapt it to any gun possibility if the actual armament hasn't been clear when the construction has been started.
- The bolts still remain, although rusted.
- These most likely have been hooks, to which camouflage nets or just trees and bushes have been attached. In some gun positions these hooks still remain in their original position, pointing straight forward.
- On top of one of the gun positions are two of these plates, to which numbers have been carved. Unfortunately this one is the only plate from which you can still read part of the numbers. It looks number 900 to me.
- Time is starting to show in the parapet.
- The main road in the area, which goes very near of the gun positions. The accommodation dugout remains number 424 is located right next to the road.
- One of the positions contains the year 1941 carved to the concrete. Moss has grown into the carved numbers thus making the year 1941 very visible. There also seems to be more numbers after 1941, but I can only make 27 out from it. Perhaps a date when the gun position was finished? After the number 27, it would seem like there is a letter V, meaning a number five perhaps? 27th of May 1941 is just a wild guessing as marking dates like shown in the picture, isn't a very common thing in Finland.
- The gun base in the second gun position.
- Wooden remains from the gun base are still attached to the bolts. The position contains also more remains.
- Depression in the concrete.
- Rusted bolts still remain in both of the bases.
- The second gun position seen from a bit higher angle.
- Comparison shot in the second gun position showing the size of the base.
- Monument of war.
- Next to one of the gun positions, is another base. Holes have been drilled to the solid rock, which forms another base on its own.
- Larger view. There is no parapet protecting this base and it is a question mark what has been located at this location. The distance to the gun position is only few meters. Perhaps fire control equipment has been attached here.
- Time to say goodbye...
Copyright © 2005, 2006 Kimmo Nummela