CONTENTS] [MAIN PAGE] [HISTORY]
INSPECTING THE 19th AND 21st FIELD BATTERIES, PART I
- A pit in the rock on a highest point marks the construction site for the structure 405, which would have turned into a machine gun bunker, if the Russians had stayed longer in the Hanko Cape.
- The pit in the rock seems to be ready, which would have contained the embrasure for the machine gun.
- The same pit from a different angle. A fir has found a good place to grow.
- The planned firing direction for the structure 405. The plan has been obviously to cover the narrow area between the island of Storholmen and the mainland. The location of this structure differs again from the fortification map. The actual location is a bit more to the south, than what is indicated in the fortification map.
- The entrance to the machine gun bunker isn't finished and the mining job was never completed.
- The entrance from another direction. Despite of the fact that the mining job wasn't finished, there is a lot of stones around the unfinished structure.
- On the opposite side of the bay is the structure 422, which was an accommodation bunker or dugout. The piles of stones around structure 405 are visible from there.
Copyright © 2005, 2006 Kimmo Nummela