CONTENTS] [MAIN PAGE] [HISTORY]
AIR COMBAT ON 5TH OF NOVEMBER 1941, PART II
- A large pit in front of the gun position, which is the dominating construction in the position 195.
- A view towards Björnholmen, which is covered in the fog.
- The gun position seen from the high hill from, which when the trees would have been cut, would have given an excellent view towards Björnholmen. Even today it does give a good view to the gun position.
- The same gun position in its summer shape.
- The edges of the gun position are barely visible from under the snow and soil.
- Stones used in the construction peaks out clearly during the summer.
- The earthwork for the position.
- Gun position seen from a distance.
- Trench line or memories from something else?
- The narrowest part of the channel, which leads to Tammisaari. In 1940 and 1941 these shores have been full of life and men. Today just a casual passer-bys come here, although from a boat the gun position is quite visible and many boats visit Tammisaari during the summer months.
- The right flank of the gun position contains rather huge earthworks. Obviously these have been positions that have supported the defences here. Today it is however quite difficult to say with a certainty, what has been located in each of the positions. However machine gun nest was planned to this location. Additionally the gun position from the Crimean War confuses even more, to see the gun position from the Continuation War.
- Notice that there is a person standing on the left side of the construction, giving you a hint of the size of this construction. The huge size of the structure is because of the gun position from the Crimean War, which has been used as a foundation for the newer position.
- There's a memorial stone next to the gun position, which reminds about the Crimean War. The plaque, which is attached to the stone, contains the following text: During the Crimean War, on this same place a gun battle was fought between two English ships and a Russian-Finnish battery on 20.5.1854. This six cannon battery wasn't build until during the next year.
Copyright © 2005, 2006 Kimmo Nummela